- Study Says Most Parents Don’t Use Car Seats In Ride Share Vehicles Like Uber
- This 12-Year-Old Boy Is A Sophomore Aerospace Engineering Major!
- Fire Safety Experts Warn Of Hand Sanitizer Danger After A Mom and Kids Escape House Fire
- Recall Alert: Peaches May Be The Cause Of Salmonella Outbreak, 68 People Ill
- Summer Vacation In The Days Of COVID: Tips To Stay Safe
- How To Safely Grocery Shop During The Coronavirus Pandemic
- Michigan Teen With Vape-Related Illness Undergoes Double Lung Transplant
- Teen Kicks Off Anti-Vaping Campaign From Hospital Bed
- Teenager Receives Life Sentence For Strangling Sister To Death Over A Wi-Fi Password
- Toddler Falls To Death From 11th Deck of Cruise Ship
Window covering cords can be fatal for children
More than 800 children worldwide have died after becoming entwined in a looped blind cord. Particularly in the age group of 3 years and younger, window covering cords and children can be a fatal mix.
Organisations across the world have now joined forces to highlight this potential danger posed to children and all are in support of the OECD Global Awareness-raising Campaign on Window Covering Cords – also known as blind cords.
The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) in the U.K, is one of the organisations on board. It’s no surprise, as 28 child deaths in the U.K since 1999, have been linked to entwined blind cords.
A toddler by the name of Leah was one of these victims and her Mother, Joy Edwards, is in support of this campaign. She recently said
“We never thought that the blind in Leah’s bedroom could be deadly – it is so important that parents are made aware of the risks. It is hard to talk about losing our beloved daughter, but if it saves at least one life then it is more than worth it.
“I would urge people to ensure that blind cords are tied up and out of reach of young children – there are a variety of safety devices available that are inexpensive and easy to install.”
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is also on board and have issued the warning on its website. The CPSC describes the hazard scenario as follows:
- Children can strangle when they become entangled in the cord loop at their neck.
- Incidents have involved children up to 9 years of age.
- Strangulation deaths and injuries can occur anywhere in a house where an unsafe corded window covering is installed.
- Strangulation has occurred most often in children’s bedrooms and in living rooms, areas generally perceived by care givers as safe.
- Strangulation happens quickly and silently.
The following safety tips have been advised: