Tragic Death of 14-Week-Old Baby Triggers Warnings Over Big Bow Hairband Craze

Keep Reading ↓

The tragic death of a 14-week-old baby has triggered warnings from parents over the big bow headband craze.

A Mother has issued words of caution to fellow parents after her young baby suffocated.

According to the M.E.N , the baby died when a headband with a bow on it slipped down her face and over her nose as she lay in her cot.

Leanne Willson posted about the incident on Facebook and said she was sharing the warning on behalf of her friend.

In her post, which has now been shared over 80,000 times, she says: “All new mums please be aware.

“Putting this warning out for all mums who have wee babies and use the big bow headbands on them.

“My friend has sadly just lost her 14-week-old daughter whilst she thought she was sleeping in her carry cot after a long walk.

“When she came to check on her she had the bow headband down over her wee nose and mouth and wasn’t moving. She had passed away.

“Post mortem revealed death due to suffocation asphyxiation. She wanted me to share for other new mums the danger some of these baby fashion accessories can have.”

Leanne, from Glasgow, UK, said that her friend was ‘utterly devastated’ by the tragedy which happened after she left her baby Holly sleeping for “only 30 minutes whilst she showered and changed and forgot to remove her headband”.

Thousands of people have commented on Leanne’s post.

Anna Johnson said: “Thank you for sharing and making other mums aware. These should be banned along with silly beaded dummy clips. As cute as they are, heath hazard. All thoughts and prayers are sent for Holly and her mum. RIP Angel xxxx”

Sheila Merrill, RoSPA’s public health adviser, said: “Children can easily swallow, inhale or choke on items left in their reach as they naturally grasp anything and put it in their mouths. Once in their mouth they find it difficult to remove the item.

“Parents can prevent the risk of choking and suffocation by ensuring that small objects or items are kept out of reach of children under the age of three.”

The warning comes in the wake of recent controversy surrounding the large JoJo bows which have become a popular fashion accessory craze among young girls.

The oversized and brightly-coloured hair clips were popularised by JoJo Siwa, a 13-year-old YouTube star and dancer in the US reality show Dance Moms.

Some schools are believed to have banned the headbands after they were worn inside the classroom.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *