- Study Says Most Parents Don’t Use Car Seats In Ride Share Vehicles Like Uber
- This 12-Year-Old Boy Is A Sophomore Aerospace Engineering Major!
- Fire Safety Experts Warn Of Hand Sanitizer Danger After A Mom and Kids Escape House Fire
- Recall Alert: Peaches May Be The Cause Of Salmonella Outbreak, 68 People Ill
- Summer Vacation In The Days Of COVID: Tips To Stay Safe
- How To Safely Grocery Shop During The Coronavirus Pandemic
- Michigan Teen With Vape-Related Illness Undergoes Double Lung Transplant
- Teen Kicks Off Anti-Vaping Campaign From Hospital Bed
- Teenager Receives Life Sentence For Strangling Sister To Death Over A Wi-Fi Password
- Toddler Falls To Death From 11th Deck of Cruise Ship
Amazing Sleeping Device Saves 1000`s From Sudden Infant Death
The US has the highest infant mortality rate of any industrialized country in the world, while Finland has drastically reduced their infant mortality rate.
In Finland, the reason for this rapid decline is due to the introduction of the so-called “Baby Box” given to all pregnant mothers.
Way back in 1938, the free boxes were created to benefit low-income families and help decrease high rates of infant mortality but within a few years, the Finnish government observed an overall improvement in children’s health. Prior to the baby box being introduced, approximately 10% of all Finnish children died before even reaching their first birthday, due to Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS). That number has now fallen to 0.3%.
Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) is the unexpected, unexplained death of a baby who is younger than one year of age and does not have a known cause, even after a complete investigation. The sleep-related causes of infant death are linked to the baby’s sleep conditions- generally due to accidental causes, such as suffocation, strangulation or entrapment (when baby gets trapped between two objects such as a mattress and wall)
How does the baby box prevent SIDS?
The Baby Box basically dissuades co-sleeping – a practice that is linked to higher rates of SIDS. When parents co-sleep with their baby, parents can roll on their baby suffocating him or her. The use of blankets and pillows in a co-sleeping environment increases the risk of SIDS.
The Baby Box provides a safe environment for baby – even for parents who cannot afford or do not have access to cribs.
Global demand for the Baby Box is now growing and the number of countries baby boxes are exported to has risen sharply.
The US is among the countries where baby boxes are finding a rising number of supporters – The Baby Box Co. is one of the companies who now creates Finnish-inspired Baby boxes filled with baby products, which are priced between $69.99 – $225.00.
The Bed Box
Price: $69.99, The Baby Box Co.
Watch the report by CBS Los Angeles: