Man Almost Dies After Eating McDonald’s Fries Contaminated With BROKEN GLASS

Keep Reading ↓

Man who ate McDonalds fries contaminated with broken glass was forced to have surgery to remove parts of a HEAT LAMP from his stomach

A man was rushed to hospital after eating fries contaminated with broken glass from McDonalds, a court has heard.

Christopher Peni had been eating fries at midnight at the Nepean Highway McDonalds in the inner-Melbourne suburb of Elsternwick on January 31 when he felt a sharp pain in his mouth.

The shocked diner spat out a glass fragment about 5mm by 25mm, along with blood.

Shocked diner Christopher Peni was eating fries at midnight when he suddenly crunched down on a jagged piece of broken glass (stock image)

After complaining to staff he took himself to Sandringham Hospital emergency department.

He was sent home but two days later, Mr Peni began vomiting, suffered severe abdominal pain and collapsed.

He was rushed to hospital where a scan found he had a half-centimeter square piece of broken, jagged tubular glass in his stomach.

The Nepean Highway McDonalds in the inner-Melbourne suburb of Elsternwick where the broken heat lamp glass showered a French Fries warmer. Not all the glass pieces were removed

Mr Peni was in constant pain and anxiety, unable to eat for days.

After four days without bowel movements he had to have surgery at Frankston Hospital to remove the glass.

Staff at the Elsternwick McDonalds told a Glen Eira Council inspector that a heat lamp had accidentally smashed over the fries warmer.

Elsternwick franchisee Kellyco Group Pty Ltd pleaded guilty to one charge of selling unsafe food at Moorabin Magistrates Court.

The charge carries a maximum fine of $200,000.

Kellyco Group, which owns several inner-Melbourne McDonald’s restaurants including St Kilda Rd and Chapel Street, told the court it had been an isolated event.

Kellyco’s defence lawyer Sebastian Reid said the franchise, which serves 900,000 customers a year and operates 24/7, had a blemish-free record other than this incident.

Mr Peni collapsed days later and, after four days without bowel movements, had to have surgery to remove a half-centimeter square of broken tubular glass from his stomach

‘The mischief in this case arose when one piece of glass failed to be removed,’ Mr Reid told the court.

Mr Reid said it was a matter of ‘considerable regret and remorse’, the Herald Sun reported and that the company had reached a confidential agreement with Mr Peni.

Magistrate Therese McCarthy accepted the company had been of good character and was remorseful, but said the incident had put a victim in hospital who had to have surgery.

She placed Kellyco Group on a 12-month good behaviour bond and ordered them to pay $40,000 to the court fund.

She also ordered them to cover council costs of $649.

No conviction was recorded against them.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *