Hanover toddler who choked on popcorn kernel dies

Keep Reading ↓

 Mirranda Grace Lawson, the 2-year-old Hanover County girl who had been on life support since she choked on a popcorn kernel in May, has died.

VCU Medical Center confirmed that she died on November 1.

VCU Medical Center and the young girl’s family have been involved in a legal battle for months. The family did not want doctors to perform a brain apnea test, which would have determined if the two-year-old was brain dead, in fear that it would harm her.

Monday afternoon, the hospital released the following statement regarding her death:

We extend our deepest sympathies to the Lawson family as they grieve Mirranda Grace’s death. During the several months Mirranda was at our hospital, we saw the Lawson’s enduring love and support of their daughter in dealing with the tragedy. Mirranda’s medical team demonstrated the highest-levels of quality and compassionate care for her and her family. Our thoughts and best hopes remain with the Lawsons. — VCU Medical Center


  1. Alexandra Nicole

    November 22, 2016 at 10:45 pm

    Oh my. This is so sad and so scary! Mark Sauder

  2. Wendy Trujillo

    November 22, 2016 at 10:50 pm

    Juan A Trujillo

  3. Shanna Thompson

    November 22, 2016 at 11:03 pm

    Super sad!!! Popcorn, grapes, hotdogs, toddler Nono foods!

    • Lisa Winkel Belle

      November 23, 2016 at 1:31 am

      Plus marshmallows

    • Shanna Thompson

      November 23, 2016 at 1:39 am

      Lisa Winkel Belle yes…. Marshmallows also!!!! Forgot that one,

    • Jessica Salgado

      November 23, 2016 at 2:44 am

      Marshmellows?? Even the little ones??

    • Shanna Thompson

      November 23, 2016 at 2:54 am

      They can swell up and get stuck…. Daycare license / state guide lines even say no!!

    • Leeanne Jaymes Lemaster

      November 23, 2016 at 3:33 am

      My son eats popcorn and grapes all the time. He has been since he was 15 months old. He’ll be 2 Dec 15th. I’m not sure what the issues are.

    • Shanna Thompson

      November 23, 2016 at 3:35 am

      This food is the size of their windpipe… If lodged will choke…. State guide lines, doctors, etc say no… You as a parent make that choice…. For safety I say no or cut up smaller…

    • Shanna Thompson

      November 23, 2016 at 3:36 am

      That’s what the big deal is…:)

    • Angela Marie Giordano

      November 23, 2016 at 5:17 am

      Hot dogs are the only thing on that list that I feel comfortable with my two year old eating

  4. Maria Folster

    November 22, 2016 at 11:15 pm

    David Folster

  5. Alejandra Tamara Duran Morales

    November 22, 2016 at 11:48 pm

    Alejandra Borges

  6. Leonela Frias

    November 23, 2016 at 12:31 am

    Linda Gonzalez

  7. Anita Guara

    November 23, 2016 at 12:37 am

    So Sad and scary

  8. Parminder Jatana

    November 23, 2016 at 1:21 am

    Amrit Shergill Sandeep Johal Jas Brar Kahlon

  9. Audrey Silvers

    November 23, 2016 at 1:45 am

    Paige no popcorn for Jr !

  10. Stephanie Netherton

    November 23, 2016 at 1:45 am


  11. Sherry Williams Caudle

    November 23, 2016 at 1:46 am

    Jemma Chiree Caudle

  12. Audrey Silvers

    November 23, 2016 at 1:49 am

    Prayers for the family , Rest in Peace Sweet Angel

  13. Danielle Nicole

    November 23, 2016 at 2:39 am

    Nancy Walker…

  14. Danielle Nicole

    November 23, 2016 at 2:39 am

    Prayers for family

  15. Heidi Putman

    November 23, 2016 at 2:50 am

    How sad

  16. Denise Bury

    November 23, 2016 at 3:55 am

    Heather Alexis

  17. Grace Figueroa-Ramirez

    November 23, 2016 at 4:06 am

    Sending prayers to the family! No parent should have to bury their child. #rip

  18. Michelle Llamas

    November 23, 2016 at 4:37 am

    Andrea Ibarra

  19. Kim Hadziosmanovic

    November 23, 2016 at 6:14 am

    Nadine Stevie Wilkinson

  20. Gabriela Meyer

    November 23, 2016 at 7:21 am

    Too sad.

  21. Crystal Leann Barker

    November 23, 2016 at 11:21 am

    Terry this is why I say no popcorn, grapes, or hot dogs . Prayers for the family

  22. Kristen Shallock Hyde

    November 23, 2016 at 8:12 pm

    Ryan Hyde

  23. Tahira Butt

    November 23, 2016 at 9:42 pm

    Omg very sad

  24. Linda Mirella Jovel

    November 24, 2016 at 12:17 am

    Brown Knight scary and sad
    Hot dogs
    Is a no no for toddlers 🙁

  25. Xochitl Castro

    December 25, 2016 at 7:17 am

    Luis J. Espinoza

  26. Isabella Tello

    December 26, 2016 at 6:28 am

    Rest Easy Little baby Angel

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *