Family Sues Apartment Owner After Toddler Dies When Heater Thermostat Spikes

Keep Reading ↓
  • A two-year-old dies after heater thermostat spiked at 200 degrees
  • Taqwa Dakhlalla died on December 11th last year when the heater and thermostat in her room malfunctioned while she was sleeping
  • The family later sues the apartment owner for damages

The parents of a 2-year-old girl who died after a heater in their apartment raised the temperature to a lethal level have reportedly filed an $8 million lawsuit against the apartment owners.

It is reported that Taqwa Dakhlalla died on December 11th last year when the heater and thermostat in her room malfunctioned while she was sleeping.  Janna Walton and Abdullah Dakhlalla, the girl’s parents, found her the following morning in her crib, according to Jane Paulson, an attorney representing the girl’s estate.

It is believed the lawsuit faults Cathedral Park Investments LLC and Gordon Properties Inc. the apartment owners and management company respectively. The family lived in the 8300 block of North Willamette Boulevard.

However, Carl Rodrigues the attorney representing the defendants claims more investigation into the incident needs to be conducted and so far he has found no liability on the part of his clients.

Jane Paulson also said that Taqwa’s family recently filed a lawsuit against Cadet Heaters, the company believed to have distributed the heater.

Image (Janna Walton Facebook)

Taqwa Dakhlalla’s cause of death was listed as hyperthermia, or overheating, according to the Oregon Health Authority.

It is believed the thermostat in Taqwa’s room was reportedly set to 62 degrees but the temperature is said to have reached 90 degrees and over as the heater kept running, according to a letter sent to Gordon Properties by the Multnomah County District Attorney’s Office.

During testing after the child’s death, the air blowing from the heater soared between 110 and 115 degrees, even spiking at 200 degrees, the DA’s office has said. The DA’s office asked Gordon Properties to inspect the wall heather in the apartment and any other apartments with similar heathers and told the company they should replace the heaters if necessary.

At the time of her untimely passing, Taqwa was an only child. However, her mother has since given birth to the couple’s second child in September this year. However, their massive loss is never far from the front of their minds and Janna Walton continues to post pictures and video entries about their little daughter.

Janna and her husband Abdullah with new son Warith(Janna Walton Facebook)

In one specific post posted in September, Janna said “The price of love is grief and I guess we both have expensive taste, princess. Still can’t believe that I can only kiss you in my dreams. At least now I know what true love looks like and feels like SUBHAN’ALLAH.”

Less than two weeks later Janna welcomed her second child into the world and said “I’m sure Taqwa’s looking down on us giggling because she’s a big sister.”

Janna has said she needs “to rediscover herself” because Taqwa was “all she ever wanted”.

The lawsuit in question was filed last Monday in Multnomah County Circuit Court.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *