Child Dies In House Fire

Keep Reading ↓

Four-year-old, Cayden Yates, from Indianapolis who was revived following a house fire last weekend has died.

Firefighters responded to a call at the 700 block of East Terrace Street just after 11 p.m. last Friday after receiving multiple calls about a house fire with people trapped inside.

10-month-old Damon East, died as a result of the fire.  Grandfather of the two children, Jeff Sullivan, 51, also died trying to save them from the fire, Indianapolis Fire Department spokesperson Rita Reith said.

A family friend, Chelsey Kline said:

Jeff was a great guy. He loved his pets. He loved his grandkids. He loved his daughter. He was a great guy. He’d help anybody in need. Good heart and loved his grandkids,

Investigators mentioned that Sullivan and another man were sitting in the living room watching TV when they smelled smoke. Sullivan went upstairs to get the children and the second man was pushed back by the harshness of the smoke and heat.

Neighbors also tried to rescue Sullivan and the children, but they were not able to enter the blazing house. They were also treated on the scene for smoke inhalation.

All 3 of the victims were found in the upstairs area of the home. Sullivan and 10-month-old Damon were pronounced dead at the scene. The 4-year-old Cayden was taken to Riley Children’s Hospital where fire officials initially said he had died, however, he was later revived. Unfortunately, Cayden succumbed to his injuries on Monday.

According to IFD spokesperson Reith, an unattended space heater caused the fire.


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *