Alert: Popular “Slime” Recipe Could Give Children Third-Degree Burns

Keep Reading ↓

A girl from Massachusetts is recovering from severe burns after a DIY slime recipe went seriously wrong and sent her to the hospital.

Teens and tweens have been hooked to the latest slime craze.

Now, after 11-year-old Kathleen made a batch while at a sleepover, she was left in excruciating pain.

Kathleen’s mom, Siobhan, said that the child woke up in severe discomfort, and by the time she returned home, she was in tears from all the pain. “She was like crying in pain, ‘My hands hurt, my hands hurt,'” Siobhan said “And we looked at them and they were covered in blisters.”

Kathleen went to the hospital where doctors examined the blisters covering both her hands. She was then diagnosed with second- and third-degree burns.

The three main ingredients in the homemade concoction were water, Elmer’s glue and Borax.

Borax is a sodium borate. Doctors believe that Kathleen’s burns came from “extended exposure” to this compound. Kathleens parents want others to realize that despite the popularity of homemade slime, it can be really dangerous.

They say that Kathleen has made slime multiple times without any issues and that parents need to be aware of the potential danger when their kids are using Borax. “I’ve had other mothers say, ‘Oh, we’ve made it a million times. It’s fine. Nothing happened to my child.’ We made it a million times, too,” she said.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *