9-Month-Old Toddler Suffers Second Degree Burns From Garden Hose

Keep Reading ↓

Water is a fun way of keeping the kids cool and entertained during the warm Summer months. However, accidents can happen very quickly.

Recently a 9-month-old baby named Nicholas Woodger from Phoenix, Arizona burned and scalded his skin with water which came from a garden hose.

Parents are now being warned to be more watchful of their kids during Summer, as accidents like these can easily occur.

In this incident, Mom Dominique was trying to set up a mini pool for her little boy to cool down in. Once the pool was set up she put the little boy into the pool and then turned on the faucet to fill the pool with water. Unbeknownst to her, the water was extremely hot and when it made contact with her baby’s skin it caused second-degree burns.

When Nicholas started crying when the water went on, his Mom thought it was because of the sudden burst of water which frightened him but sadly 30 percent of his body was in fact injured from the hot water. Dominique then saw that his skin had started peeling off.

According to Phoenix firefighters, these type of encounters are not uncommon during the Summer months. The reason for this is that garden hoses sit outside under 115 to 150 degree summer heat and the temperature affects the water in it. Record temperatures have been hit in Arizona during the time this incident took place which validates this.

Although Nicholas has blisters all over the right side of his body, Doctors say that he will be fine.

During this particularly hot season, parents are now urged to first check the water from the garden hose to prevent accidents such as this one. Let the water first run for at least a minute before you let your kids near the water.


  1. Shannon Leigh Johnson

    June 15, 2016 at 12:18 am

    Sad for the baby but .. Really?! This is like a duh moment. I guess the mother never played with the hose as a kid and drank out of it .. Cuz duh .. Turn it on and let it run for a bit first

  2. Samantha Freeman

    June 15, 2016 at 5:05 am

    It’s an easy mistake… Poor baby and poor momma I’m sure she feels horrible 🙁

    • Shannon Leigh Johnson

      June 15, 2016 at 6:05 am

      I guess cuz I grew up in Vegas, where it’s super hot, and played with the hose as a kid, and made this mistake, as a kid, I don’t see how it’s an easy mistake a parent would make

  3. Natalie Palermo

    June 16, 2016 at 1:08 am

    Ppl so quick to judge, sorry perfect momma.

  4. Ana Karen Varo-Gonzalez

    June 16, 2016 at 5:30 am

    Well poor baby although nobody is born knowing this things I once burn my hand silly me was out in my yard and open the hose and have a habit of putting my hand in it so lesson learned for me know I tell my kids when they want to play with water during the summer to let it run before touching it nobody is perfect!

  5. NR

    June 16, 2016 at 11:42 pm

    Sadly some moms have to be warned about this, when it is COMPLETELY obvious that of course the water is going to be hot at first especially when its super hot out, who doesn’t know that? Guess we have to warn all these ignorent mothers.

    • SW

      June 17, 2016 at 3:34 pm

      To NR: I don’t think it’s fair to make a comment like that. There are so many things Moms think about on a daily basis, and unfortunately we can’t think of everything. I’m sure you’ve read something and thought “wow, I never thought of that”. Sure, some things seem obvious to some but not all. If we lived in a world where everyone had common sense or where we just thought of the obvious in every situation we would live in a perfect world. But guess what? We don’t. I would say, please think before passing judgement because I am sure you are not perfect.

    • E. Watson

      June 17, 2016 at 3:45 pm

      Unfortunately that is true.

    • Tanya

      June 21, 2016 at 11:22 pm

      There is no way that water was the damn hot unless it came out of a hot water tank I think they did that

  6. E. Watson

    June 17, 2016 at 3:44 pm

    Definately the fault of the stupid mother. Who in their right mind puts a 9 month old into a pool and THEN turns the water on. Get real.

  7. nancy

    June 18, 2016 at 12:07 am

    That is so rude calling that mother ignorent Every Mom makes mistakes even the best Moms out there you cant think of everything all the time.and who does not make mistakes is not a real Mother.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *