- Study Says Most Parents Don’t Use Car Seats In Ride Share Vehicles Like Uber
- This 12-Year-Old Boy Is A Sophomore Aerospace Engineering Major!
- Fire Safety Experts Warn Of Hand Sanitizer Danger After A Mom and Kids Escape House Fire
- Recall Alert: Peaches May Be The Cause Of Salmonella Outbreak, 68 People Ill
- Summer Vacation In The Days Of COVID: Tips To Stay Safe
- How To Safely Grocery Shop During The Coronavirus Pandemic
- Michigan Teen With Vape-Related Illness Undergoes Double Lung Transplant
- Teen Kicks Off Anti-Vaping Campaign From Hospital Bed
- Teenager Receives Life Sentence For Strangling Sister To Death Over A Wi-Fi Password
- Toddler Falls To Death From 11th Deck of Cruise Ship
Party Treat Leaves 3-Year-Old In A Coma
Mirranda Grace Lawson was just three years old when she passed away in November of last year.
Earlier in the year, the little girl was celebrating her Mom’s birthday when she choked and went into a coma.
The girl was hospitalized and put on life support, while her parents were at her side and fought for her life until the very end.
After Mirranda’s passing, her parents are now raising awareness about the choking hazards which young children face every day.
In Mirranda’s case, all it took was a single kernel of popcorn kernel which ultimately resulted in her death. Mirranda Grace Lawson died in November, however, the struggle began six months earlier.
Mirranda’s mother, Alison, was celebrating her birthday at home with her husband, Patrick, and their kids when the unimaginable happened.
Mirranda’s GoFundMe page says “At the end of Alison’s birthday, Mirranda ran in to the living room. Eyes huge, no sound. Time stopped. Those were the last moments they shared before Mirranda fell to the ground; they swept her mouth, nothing; Pat started CPR. The ambulance got there. Mirranda’s heart stopped.”
There was nothing in her mouth, but a small popcorn kernel had gotten wedged in her windpipe and choked her. On route to the hospital, paramedics managed to get Mirranda’s heart pumping again.
When Mirranda arrived at the ER, she was immediately put on a respirator and her family hoped for the best. Tragically, Mirranda’s doctors soon realized that Mirranda was brain dead.
The hospital suggested the family turn off life support, but they wouldn’t give up on their little girl. The Lawson’s fought with the hospital to keep their daughter alive, and the case ended up going to court.
The Lawson family decided to try the case in the Virginia Supreme Court. Throughout this, Mirranda was closely monitored by caring nurses.
The court was slow to make a decision, but at the same time Mirranda’s health suddenly deteriorated and she died in November.
By sharing their story, Mirranda’s family wants to raise awareness about choking hazards so that other children don’t end up in the same situation.