Kids Safety Network

Pregnant Mother Says Her & Baby Almost Died After Eating Frozen Yogurt

Dealing with allergies is not always easy.

An Australian Pregnant Mother, Melissa Presti, who has a nut allergy, bought a cacao crumble yogurt treat from her local yogurt bar. She was assured by the shop assistant that the product only contained almonds, which she can eat. However, after eating the frozen yogurt, she immediately suffered anaphylactic symptoms and struggled to breathe.

“My lips started to swell, my eyes started to puff up,” she said. “And then I thought, ‘I’ve got this baby that I’m not going to live to meet’, so it was terrifying.”

Presti reportedly asked staff at the Top Juice Store at Highpoint Shopping Centre in Melbourne if the product contained nuts, and was told no.

She said that a store clerk was adamant there was nothing that contained anything but almonds, but this was obviously not the case.

Presti believes that the crumble in the yogurt either came into contact with other peanut products or the nuts were mistakenly mixed into the yogurt.

Further reports indicate a new sign that was displayed alongside the cacao yogurt warning that said: “Products are processed in facilities that handle nuts and other allergens.”

However, Melissa claimed the sign was not there when she bought the yogurt even though the company said there was.

If you have a food allergy, don’t take any chances. If you even see food displayed near peanuts or anything else that might possibly give you a reaction, rather avoid it.

Thankfully both Melissa and her unborn baby are doing fine now, thanks to her hospital stay and recovery.

Do you have allergies? Has anything like this happened to you?

Exit mobile version