Kids Safety Network

Foster Father Charged After Baby Suffers 35 Broken Bones

Inside Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis, doctors knew something was wrong with a 2-month-old baby girl placed in foster care.

Doctors took X-rays and saw that the baby girl had 35 broken bones and other injuries to her hands, legs, feet, upper, and lower back.

According to court documents, her foster father, Kyle Rice, eventually told investigators he caused those injuries.

”It’s certainly very tragic. Children 5 and under are at the greatest risk of child abuse and neglect,” said Sharon Pierce, who runs the Villages of Indiana, a nonprofit that provides child and family services.

“I think for those of us who work in the child welfare system, what can we learn to prevent this from ever happening again,” she continued.

According to court documents, Rice said to investigators that he was home with the baby one day and she was fussy.

“He tried to give her a bottle, but she was spitting it out,” Pierce explained. “He then changed her diaper and she pooped while he was changing it. He held her, but she continued to cry and wouldn’t calm down.”

He admitted to investigators that he squeezed her really hard, bent her legs backwards, grabbed her hands and feet and squeezed them in his hands.
He told investigators he was frustrated.

“Being a parent is the most difficult job but that doesn’t excuse maltreating a child and that’s what happened here,” Pierce said.

Rice’s wife told investigators that she had no idea about the injuries. She says she works full time while her husband stays home with the kids.

They have been foster parents for some time and even adopted 3 children.

Rice’s trial is now scheduled for April.

Toledo News Now, News, Weather, Sports, Toledo, OH

Father Loses 9 Fingers, Both Feet After Flu Complications

A 51-year-old Texas Father has lost both of his feet and most of his fingers after complications from the flu, according to his family.

“One minute you’ve got the flu and the next you’re septic,” Brian Herndon said as he battled the virus at a hospital in Fort Worth, WFAA reported.

The husband and Dad of two had a low-grade fever on Jan. 3.

The next day, his body temperature suddenly increased and his wife rushed him to the hospital.

He had a 104.7 temperature… and then he had trouble breathing,” Jaye Herndon said of her husband. “We didn’t wait. We went to the ER. It was that quick.”

Herndon was diagnosed with the flu and admitted to the hospital. The following day doctors said that he had pneumonia, which led to septic shock.

They could not detect a pulse in his feet for a few days.

Two weeks after the diagnosis, a surgical team at Baylor University Medical Center had to amputate both of Brian’s feet and nine of his fingers, according to the Star-Telegram.

Jaye said that her husband had no underlying medical conditions that they knew of.

She also told the Star-Telegram that he did not get a flu shot this season.

The family hopes that Brian will be released from the ICU by the end of this week, then enter the rehabilitation stage of his recovery.

GoFundMe page has been created to help the family cover the costs of his new prosthetics.

Exit mobile version